Tuesday, March 13, 2012

[Review] - A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Title: A Game of Thrones
Author: George R.R. Martin
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: August 6, 1996

Summary: In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the North of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to.

Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens. Amid plots and counter plots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance as each new endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts the game of thrones

Thoughts: My number one addiction of 2011 was the TV show Game of Thrones . When the first episode aired I wasn't sure I was gonna like it, but by the end of the episode I was hooked. It wasn't until towards the end of the season that I picked up the book to read. (yep, it took me a while to read)

Once I got into the book I fell more in love with the world and the characters. I'm not sure I would have picked this one up if I hadn't seen the show, but I'm glad I did because I enjoy every minute of it. One of the amazing things is the shows creators have stayed quite true to the material, which is another reason to love both formats. A Game of Thrones really has everything. Fantasy, intrigue, adventure and even some romance. If you haven't picked this one up yet, I highly recommend it.

Score: 5 Stars

Author Website: http://georgerrmartin.com/

A Song of Ice and Fire:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast of Crows
A Dance with Dragons

Upcoming Releases:
A Game of Thrones Volume One- March 27, 2012 (graphic novel)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin