Thursday, November 15, 2012

Guest Book Blogger: Danielle H.

It's a pleasure to welcome Danielle (TBQ) from The Book Queen's Book Palace to my blog today. She's chatting about two of my favorite topics romance novels and quotes. 


Why We Love Romance Novels

Whether you've been a fan since your early teens, or you just discovered the genre recently, we all have one thing in common—we love our romance novels. Romance readers are passionate about their books, many of us willing to fight one another for the sexy heroes... But for those of you who have yet to be bitten by the romance bug, you may be asking “Why romance?”.

And so I've put together a Top 10 list here of why we love romance novels. And to help explain each number, I've picked some of my favorite book quotes. I hope you enjoy!

10. Romance novels always have such beautiful imagery.

       Ireland is a land of poets and legends, of dreams and rebels. All of these have music woven through and around them. Tunes for dancing or for weeping, tunes for battle or for love.
                             ~TEARS OF THE MOON, Nora Roberts

9. A good romance novel has a heroine who will NOT take any crap from the hero—or anyone else, for that matter. Also, if the hero is at all intelligent, he should be frightened of her, though perhaps not in the way you would normally think...

       He was staring at her as if she'd just grown another head. As if she frightened him. Her eyes widened. She frightened him.
       Because she made him feel something he didn't want to. He cared about her. Though the stubborn, thick-headed man didn't realize it. But he would. Her bruised, swollen mouth tugged to a smile. It was really rather sweet.
                             ~THE CHIEF, Monica McCarty

8. Romance novels teach us—not just about love, but life as well. We have only to listen to the tips. :)

       “Life gives us choices. You either grab on with both hands and just go for it, or you sit on the sidelines.”
                             ~NIGHT GAME, Christine Feehan

7. A good romance novel makes us laugh out loud. The more laughs, the better the book!

      “All right, then,” she snapped, “do as you please! Perhaps afterward we could manage a coherent discussion.” Twisting beneath him, she flopped onto her stomach.
       Christopher went still. After a long hesitation, she heard him ask in a far more normal voice, “What are you doing?”
       “I’m making it easier for you,” came her defiant reply. “Go on, start ravishing.”
       Another silence. Then, “Why are you facing downward?”
“Because that’s how it’s done.” Beatrix twisted to look at him over her shoulder. A twinge of uncertainty caused her to ask, “Isn’t it?”
His face was blank. “Has no one ever told you?”
       “No, but I’ve read about it.”
       Christopher rolled off her, relieving her of his weight. He wore an odd expression as he asked, “From what books?” “Veterinary manuals. And of course, I’ve observed the squirrels in springtime, and farm animals...”
                             ~LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON, Lisa Kleypas

And...

“Rule Number One: A gentleman always sleeps on the wet spot. Rule Number Two: A really good gentleman does his best to ensure there are, in fact, nothing but wet spots.”
                             ~THE WORLD IS A STAGE, Tamara Morgan

6. The hero has to be many things (including sexy); but he doesn't have to be perfect, nor does he have to be a Navy SEAL, a rich man, or a duke. We love the “regular” men, too!

       “Ah, hi. It's Carter. I wonder if you might want to go out to dinner, or maybe the movies. Maybe you like plays better than movies. I should've looked up what might be available before I called. I didn't think of it. Or we could just have coffee again if you want to do that. Or...I'm not articulate on these things. I can't use a tape recorder either. And why would you care? If you're at all interested in any of the above, please feel free to call me. Thanks. Um. Good-bye.”
                             ~VISION IN WHITE, Nora Roberts

5. No matter the genre, romance novels give us beautiful quotes to enjoy—whether they are in another language

       “A ghra. A amhain. My love. My only.”
                             ~FACE THE FIRE, Nora Roberts

OR as part of a bonding ritual for paranormal beings.

       “I claim you as my life mate. I belong to you. I offer my life for you. I give to you my protection, my allegiance, my heart, my soul, and my body. I take into my keeping the same that is yours. Your life, happiness, and welfare will be cherished and placed above my own for all time. You are my life mate, bound to me for all eternity and always in my care.”
                             Bonding Ritual from Christine Feehan's Carpathian novels (DARK PRINCE, et all)

4. A good romance novel will make even the toughest reader shed a tear.

       “I was dead until you found me, though I breathed. I was sightless, though I could see. And then you came...and I was awakened.”
                             ~LOVER AWAKENED, J.R. Ward

And...

       “When the day shall come that we do part,” he said softly, and turned to look at me, “if my last words are not 'I love you'--ye'll ken it was because I didna have time.”
                             ~OUTLANDER, Diana Gabaldon

3. They make our hearts ache, our souls yearn, and elicit endless sighs from us.

       In a thick black frame, matted exquisitely beneath textured white board, were four photographs, positioned vertically, all shot in subtly lit black and white. Below each picture, in carefully scripted black ink, was one sentence.
       The first photo was a close-up of a pair of eyes. Nothing else. But she knew they were her own. The desire so naked in them, clutched at something deep inside her. Below the picture, it said: I want to look into these a hundred times a day. Her throat tightened as she dragged her attention to the next one. It was her hand, tucked flat between her legs as one thigh rubbed in front of the other. The line below it read: I want to run my tongue here. She shuddered, and felt those very same muscles twitch in remembered pleasure. The next shot was of her fist, gripping so tightly there was no color in her knuckles. Below it: I want to make you hold on to me this tight. Tears had gathered in her eyes by the time she got to the last picture. It was taken from the caboose. Gray skies and snow-filled tracks. Desolate. Lonely. Beneath it was: I don't want to let you go.
                             ~EXPOSURE, Donna Kauffman

2. They make us dream of our own hero, our own HEA.

       “I want us out of these clothes and up there,” he jerked his chin toward the bunk he'd used as a bed. “I want to feel your legs entwined with mine. I want to lie there and imagine how it would feel to sleep with you all wrapped up with me.” He stroked her cheek, ran his thumb along her lip, knowing this was probably way too intense, yet unable to stop. “I want to fall asleep with you in my arms. And I want to wake up next to you in the morning.” He brushed a kiss across her lips. “At least once.”
                             ~EXPOSURE, Donna Kauffman

1. This---need I say more? :)

       With a groan, his mouth opened under hers, and his arms came hard around her body, lifting her against him. His tongue pressed past her open lips to touch and tangle with hers.
       It wasn't a soft, tentative kiss, a gentle seeking. Aidan devoured her, his lips and tongue and teeth seeking out every part of her, claiming her, possessing her. And she wanted it, wanted more. It was as if his taste intoxicated her, and something white-hot exploded inside of her. She felt him press her back tightly against the shelf, bracing her there as he lifted her higher against his body.
       Her skirts fell back in a ruffled froth as she wrapped her legs tightly around his lean hips and let herself fall completely into his hungry kiss. She shoved his coat away from his shoulders and dug her nails into his linen-covered back.
       "Lily," he groaned. His lips tore away from hers, and she cried out in protest, only to moan as his mouth trailed down the arch of her neck, his tongue tasting her skin. He licked and nipped at her, until her head fell back and her fingers drifted into the waves of his hair to hold him to her. He bit down hard on the sensitive spot between the neck and shoulder.
                             ~ONE NAUGHTY NIGHT, Laurel McKee

And this: 

       Eleanor's breathing slowly settled. She blinked and raised her head. All she saw were thousands of books stacked and shelved and neatly scattered. Daniel was still inside her.
       “God, I love a man who reads,” she breathed and laid her head on the desk, spent.”
                             ~SEVEN DAY LOAN, Tiffany Reisz


Now, dear readers, I have a question for YOU.

Well, two really. First, why do you read romance novels—what reason would you add to my top 10 list?

Second, do you have any favorite quotes handy to share—I love adding to my quote collection! :)

Thanks again, Anna, for having me as a guest! I can only hope I didn't bore anyone!

Enjoy!
Danielle (TBQ)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on the blog today, Anna! :)

    Enjoy!
    TBQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! You came up with an excellent post. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin