Tuesday, January 22, 2013

[Review] - The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: January 10, 2013

Summary:  Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Thoughts: Hazel is a 16 year old girl with Stage IV thyroid cancer. With the exception of her Cancer support group she spends most of her time at home with her parents. They are eager for Hazel to make friends and live life.  Sitting in support group one day in walks Augustus and he changes everything.. for the both of them.

This was hard review to write. I'm mean really where to start. I love this book and I'm sure that I won't be able to express everything I'm thinking but here it goes... This is only my second time reading a John Green book. When I sat down to read this book I wasn't sure what to expect. But it blew me away.  Before I knew it I was 100 pages in and having a hard time putting it down.  I was instantly transfixed by both the characters and their story.  The Fault In Our Stars is in my eyes a rare book. It's heartbreaking, but so absolutely beautiful. I loved it and will undoubtedly re-read it again, because Augustus and Hazel's story, even though it's fictional should never be forgotten. This is a must read book!

Score: 5 Stars

Author Website:
http://johngreenbooks.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogbrothers

Novels by John Green:
Looking for Alaska
An Abundance of Katherines
Paper Towns
Will Grayson, Will Grayson (with David Levithan)
The Fault In Our Stars


10 comments:

  1. I have been dying to read this one! Can you believe the wait list at our local library is still long for this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it better then Looking for Alaska? Which should I start first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking for Alaska is a good novel, but I really loved The Fault In Our Stars. John Green's books are all stand alone novels. So your good with which ever book you chose.

      Delete
  3. Such a good book! I borrowed it from the library and ended up buying a copy of the special edition a little while ago. Everyone should have this one on their bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep saying i'm going to read this one but still have yet to pick it up. I did mark this off as one of my must reads for this year so I might just grab it in my next book haul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first John Green Book and what a book to start with! I didn't want to put this one down once I started. This was one of my favorite reads of 2012. There were definitely tears shed, but I also laughed and I just loved these characters :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely make my top books of 2013. :)

      Delete
  6. An amazing story, that doesn't come along often. If you haven't read this book already, you need to buy it. Right now. You absolutely CANNOT be disappointed. This book leaves you in fits of laughter and in tears. You remember the characters and think about them as if you knew them personally. Beautifully written.

    Marlene Detierro (Fishing Lodges Alaska)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin