One of the most popular questions a writer is asked is if there’s a certain food we eat while writing. I’m a bit of a foodie, so my answer is always changing. (Right now I’m on a Waldorf salad kick. Though I’m not a fan of mayo and substitute Greek yogurt instead.) But in writing life, there’s one constant… If a writer is in the thick of writing, we aren’t cooking, cleaning, or eating anything that’s not within reach of our computer. With that in mind, I give you the top five “foods” writers eat (as seen on Twitter).
1. Nutella. If you haven’t had Nutella, you don’t know what you’re missing. It’s a chocolate hazelnut spread, and it’s so delicious and versatile. If you’re a Nutella virgin, here are a few recipes to get you started.
2. Doritos. These are a cheesy staple in lots of households. I was never a Doritos fan until they invented the Spicy Sweet Chili version. OMG. I love them!
3. Sour Patch Kids. My daughter is addicted to these, so I’ve tried them. I love sour candies, but I’m not big on gummies. I know plenty of writers addicted to these little guys, so the combo obviously works for others.
4. Hot Wings. I do love me some boneless hot wings. I can totally see the appeal of these as an easy mid-book meal. We have four wing joints within five miles of our house, so it’s simple to call in an order and have my hubby pick up dinner when I can’t cook.
5. Chinese. Give me hot and sour soup or garlic chicken, and I’m such a happy girl. I eat this less when I’m writing than when I’m sick. (Probably because my husband doesn’t like Chinese, so I have to play the sick card to get takeout.) Every time one of my writer friends orders their General Tso delivered, I’m jealous. Despite having three Chinese restaurants in the area, none of them deliver. Oh well. It’s probably for the best. I would live off Chinese if I could.
So there you go. It’s not pretty, it’s not healthy, but this tried and true diet does keep writers writing when deadlines loom. It’s no coincidence most of us celebrate the end of a book by cleaning our houses top to bottom and then devouring a home-cooked meal.
By Hailey Edwards
Release Date: July 30, 2013
They just might survive…if they don’t kill each other first. Once the future Segestriidae maven, Kaidi lived a privileged life. Now she spends her nights haunting cities ravaged by the plague. Spade in hand, she stalks rows of freshly dug graves for corpses…and then she takes their heads.
Her new life is caked in blood and spattered with gore, but it’s hers. At least until—to her fury—she’s caught napping.
A plague survivor by the skin of his teeth, Murdoch risks his neck to solve the mysteries left in its wake. Bodies have gone missing. Guards have left their posts and never returned home.
When he rouses a female dozing among the dead, he’s unprepared for the violence of her response. Or his. Beneath the grime, she’s lovely. Too bad the blood under her fingernails belongs to his clansmen.
He has no choice but to follow this alluring creature deeper into her world of winged beasts and flesh-eating monsters. She holds the knowledge he craves, but the price is high—and they may both pay for it with their lives.
Warning: This book contains one heroine in desperate need of a bath and one hero willing to wash away her sins. Expect threats, swears and general cursing. Love is a slippery slope, and these two are sliding.
Webiste | Twitter | Facebook | GoodReads
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iBook | Samhain
GIVEAWAYWhen your job makes cooking impossible, what are your go-to staples? Share your snack habits with me, and you’ll be entered for a chance to win one title from my backlist in any digital format.
*Giveaway open to everyone. Please remember to leave your email address along with your comments.The winner will be announced on August 7th.